"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." - Benjamin Franklin
If you are over 40 you will be recommended to have a GDX glaucoma screening. This is optional testing and there is a small fee for this test. It is not covered by any optical or medical plan. It allows patients to choose added protection from glaucoma. This is often a cause of confusion for patients until they understand glaucoma and the science behind the testing.
Some basic facts you should know about glaucoma:
- Glaucoma has no symptoms.
- 4% of the population has glaucoma.
- 50% of patients with glaucoma in the USA do not know they have it.
- Glaucoma is generally easy to treat if diagnosed early.
- Glaucoma is generally difficult to treat in more advanced cases.
- Glaucoma causes permanent damage to the optic nerve.
- While glaucoma damage is permanent, further damage can be prevented with good treatment.
- Even patients having regular eye exams may have undetected glaucoma if they do not have extra testing.
- Many glaucoma patients do not have high eye pressure so testing is critical to early detection.
The GDX test measures the thickness of your optic nerve and can detect glaucoma in its earliest stages.
We also use the FDT to detect early peripheral vision loss